TAX CUTS: Hse. GOP to Attach ‘Access Package’ to HMO Bill
Claiming that many of the managed care reforms proposed in some patients' rights measures under consideration will increase health costs and decrease the number of people covered, House GOP leaders this morning are expected to introduce an "access package" composed of tax breaks that would expand health care coverage. According to CongressDaily, the package is expected to include the following:
- Tax cuts for long term care insurance;
- An earlier phase-in date for the self-employed to deduct 100 percent of health costs;
- More "tax parity" for individuals vis-a-vis businesses in purchasing health insurance;
- A "medical innovation" tax credit;
- Greatly expanded number and size of medical savings accounts;
- A proposal for small business health insurance purchasing pools.