UCI Posts Videos of Eight 2002 Health Care Forecast Conference Sessions Online
The Health Care Management Program at the University of California-Irvine Graduate School of Management has posted online eight sessions on "Health Politics and Policies in the Bush Administration" from the 2002 Health Care Forecast Conference, held in February. The video sessions range from 45 to 75 minutes in length. The sessions include:
- Welcome Video, with UCIGSM Dean David Blake, UCI College of Medicine Dean Thomas Cesario and UCIGSM Professor and Robert Gumbiner Chair in Health Care Management Paul Feldstein.
- "Forecasts: U.S. Economy, Health Care Private Sector, Federal Budget Expenditures/Medicare/Medicaid," with James Glassman, managing director and senior economist at JPMorgan Securities, Inc.; Jon Gabel, vice president of health systems studies at Health Education and Research Trust; and Mark Miller, assistant director for health and human resources at the Congressional Budget Office.
- "The Modernization of Medicare," with Murray Ross, executive director of the Medicare Payment Advisory Commission; Elizabeth Fowler, chief health and entitlements counsel to the Senate Finance Committee; and John McManus, staff director of the House Ways and Means Subcommittee on Health.
- "Health Politics and Policies of the Bush Administration," with Norman Ornstein, resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, and Gerald McCall, senior vice president and service area manager for Kaiser Permanente.
- "National Health Legislative Outlook," with Dean Rosen, minority staff director of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Subcommittee on Public Health; Bridgett Taylor, a Democratic staff member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee; and Ornstein.
- "California Health Legislative Outlook," with Joy Higa, deputy director for plan and provider relations at the Department of Managed Health Care; Walter Zelman, president and CEO of the California Association of Health Plans; Charleen Milburn, managing director of government relations for the California Medical Association; Donald Crane, president of the California Association of Physician Organizations; and John Kao, executive vice president and chief revenue officer of the TriZetto Group.
- "Impact of Biotechnology on Health Care Delivery," with Richard Teske, health care writer and consultant; Rick Carlson, president of the Health Strategies Group; Robert Bratton, assistant professor of family medicine at the Mayo Medical School; and John Zimmer, vice president of marketing at Toshiba America Medical Systems.
- "Strategic Outlook on the Health Care Market," with Paul Ginsburg, president of the Center for Studying Health System Change; Lawrence Casalino, assistant professor at the Pritzker School of Medicine at the University of Chicago; David Helwig, president of Blue Cross of California; Sheryl Skolnick, managing director and co-director of research in health care services at Fulcrum Global Partners; and Nick Franklin, senior vice president of public affairs at PacifiCare Health Systems.
The California HealthCare Foundation and others sponsored the Webcast of the conference (UCI release, 6/13). This is part of the California Healthline Daily Edition, a summary of health policy coverage from major news organizations. Sign up for an email subscription.