10 Calif. Hospitals Among U.S. News’ List of ‘Most Connected’
Ten California hospitals were included in U.S. News & World Report's 2015-2016 list of the nation's "Most Connected Hospitals," which recognizes high-performing hospitals for their use of health information technology to improve patient care, U.S. News & World Report reports (Schroeder, U.S. News & World Report, 10/16).
Details of List
To be considered for the list of "Most Connected Hospitals," facilities had to:
- Have a high score based on responses to questions to the American Hospital Association's 2013 and 2014 Annual Survey IT Supplement; and
- Be one of the 910 facilities that received a national ranking or "high-performing" recognition in U.S. News' 2015-2016 Best Hospitals for complex care, Best Hospitals for Common Care or Best Children's Hospitals lists.
Qualifying hospitals were then evaluated based on:
- Clinical connectedness, which includes a hospital's ability to electronically exchange or share patient information with providers both inside and outside the hospital;
- Patient engagement, which includes a hospital's ability to give patients electronic access to their medical information; and
- Patient safety, which includes a hospital's ability to prevent inflicting patient harm through computerized methods (Most Connected Hospitals methodology, October 2015).
Nationally, 159 hospitals in 37 states met the criteria to be considered one of the "Most Connected Hospitals."
The states with the most facilities on the list were:
- Ohio, with 23 hospitals;
- Wisconsin, with 16 hospitals; and
- Pennsylvania, with 12 hospitals.
Ten California hospitals made the list, tying with Texas for the fifth most facilities included in the rankings (U.S. News & World Report release, 10/16).
The California hospitals on the list included:
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles;
- Kaiser Permanente Baldwin Park Medical Center;
- Mills-Peninsula Health Services in Burlingame;
- Providence Holy Cross Medical Center in Mission Hills;
- Rady Children's Hospital in San Diego;
- Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UCLA in Los Angeles;
- Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital;
- UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles;
- UC-Davis Medical Center in Sacramento; and
- UC-Irvine Medical Center in Orange (Most Connected Hospitals list, October 2015).