22 California Hospitals Included in Leapfrog Group’s ‘Top Hospital’ List
Details of List
A total of 94 facilities across the U.S. were included on Leapfrog's annual list, which recognizes hospitals that meet the group's standards for:
- Care quality;
- Efficiency; and
- Patient safety (Leapfrog release, 12/2).
In order to be named a "Top Hospital," organizations had to fill out the Leapfrog Hospital Survey and meet certain criteria for patient outcomes, hospital resources and management practices. To make the "Top Hospital" list, facilities also had to earn an "A" grade on Leapfrog's latest Hospital Safety Scores, which were released last month, if they were not exempt from receiving such scores (Leapfrog methodology, 12/2).
Overall, this year's list includes:
- 59 top urban hospitals;
- 26 top rural hospitals; and
- Nine top children's hospitals.
California Hospitals on List
Twenty California facilities were named top urban hospitals, including:
- 12 Kaiser Permanente hospitals;
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center's Alta Bates campus;
- Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian;
- St. Luke's Hospital of San Francisco;
- Sutter Maternity and Surgery Center of Santa Cruz;
- Two California Pacific Medical Center campuses; and
- Two University of California medical centers.
Two California facilities were named top children's hospitals, including:
- Children's Hospital of Orange County; and
- Miller Children's & Women's Hospital Long Beach.
No California facilities were included in the list of top rural hospitals (Leapfrog "Top Hospitals" list, 12/2).This is part of the California Healthline Daily Edition, a summary of health policy coverage from major news organizations. Sign up for an email subscription.