6 California Hospitals Included on National List of Top Hospitals
Six California facilities met quality and safety criteria established by the Leapfrog Group, qualifying the hospitals for inclusion on the business coalition's list of top hospitals for 2007, the San Francisco Business Times reports.
California hospitals on the list are:
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, Oakland campus;
- California Pacific Medical Center, Pacific campus, San Francisco;
- Children's Hospital of Orange County;
- Miller Children's Hospital, Long Beach;
- Stanford Hospital and Clinics, Palo Alto; and
- UCLA Medical Center.
Leapfrog scores hospitals according to their performance in four areas:
- Use of computer physician order entry;
- Staffing intensive care units with specially-trained personnel called intensivists;
- Performance on seven high-risk medical procedures and three neonatal procedures; and
- Advancement toward complying with 27 safety practices endorsed by the National Quality Forum.
According to Leapfrog, about 1,300 facilities -- 44% of urban, acute-care facilities -- participated in the survey (Rauber, San Francisco Business Times, 9/19). This is part of the California Healthline Daily Edition, a summary of health policy coverage from major news organizations. Sign up for an email subscription.