Accidental Marijuana Ingestion On Rise In Pediatric Patients
It's usually not life-threatening for the children, but the quicker doctors can diagnose what the problem is, the quicker they can help. With that in mind, one ER department is changing up its policy to better treat these young patients.
Capital Public Radio:
Kids And Pot: How One Emergency Room Is Responding
Emergency physician and medical toxicologist Dan Kolby with UC Davis said doctors have seen an increase over the last two years in pediatric patients who’ve accidentally ingested marijuana. ... UC Davis emergency room staff have started asking parents more pointed questions about whether a child has had access to the drug, and soon they’ll add a urine test to their screening protocols when they suspect marijuana ingestion. (Caiola, 2/21)