Approval of Universal Health Access Plan Expected
The universal health access plan by San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom (D) and Supervisor Tom Ammiano "is likely to win overwhelming board approval on Tuesday," the Sacramento Bee reports (Sample, Sacramento Bee, 7/15).
The plan would offer health care access to an estimated 82,000 uninsured residents at a cost of about $200 million annually. According to the plan, the city would contribute $104 million currently allocated to treat the uninsured.
Under a compromise reached last week, employers would contribute about $28 million through a mandate Ammiano proposed that would require businesses to contribute $1.06 or $1.60 per hour worked per employee toward worker health care, depending on the company's size. Companies that provide health coverage but spend less than the minimum level would be required to contribute.
Member premiums and other sources would provide about $56 million (California Healthline, 7/12).
Businesses oppose the employer mandate. Jim Lazarus of the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce said he expects someone will file a lawsuit to prevent the proposed plan from taking effect.
Supervisor Bevan Dufty said, "There are going to be changes ... in the economy of San Francisco" because of the plan, but the city "is going to move forward a bit" (Sacramento Bee, 7/15).