Bond Measure Seeks $980M for Children’s Hospitals in California
On Friday, Secretary of State Debra Bowen (D) announced that a $980 million bond measure aimed at modernizing and expanding children's hospitals throughout California has qualified for the November ballot, the San Jose Mercury News reports.
If approved, the measure would provide 80% of the funds to hospitals focusing on children with illnesses such as leukemia, cancer, heart defects, diabetes, sickle cell anemia and cystic fibrosis. The other 20% would be provided for UC hospitals.
The measure qualified for the ballot after receiving more than the 433,971 valid signatures required.
June 26 is the last day for other ballot measures to qualify for the November election. Two other measures have qualified for the ballot (Rogers, San Jose Mercury News, 5/10).
In 2004, California voters approved Proposition 61, which authorized the state to issue $750 million in bonds for construction, expansion and renovation of state children's hospitals (California Healthline, 11/3/04).