BREAST CANCER: Lazio Touts Bill in GOP Radio Address
During the GOP's Mother's Day weekend radio address, Rep. Rick Lazio (R-N.Y.) argued that the federal government, which provides breast and cervical cancer screenings for low-income women, should cover the cost of treatment for the diseases, the AP/Contra Costa Times reports. "To diagnose cancer in low-income women and then to usher them out the door and wave them a cheery goodbye is unethical," Lazio, co-sponsor of a bill that would pay for treatment, said, adding, "For all our noble intent, our piecemeal approach to this issue created a situation that was morally intolerable." Under the Breast Cancer and Cervical Treatment Act, which already passed in the House by a 421-1 margin, the federal government would pay for 75% of treatment expenses, while states would cover the remaining 25%. The program would cost the federal government $280 million over five years (5/14).
Lazio Senate Run?
The selection of Lazio to speak comes as Republican New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who is considering abandoning his Senate run against Democrat Hillary Clinton, said he would meet this week with Lazio to "discuss politics," according to the New York Daily News. Earlier this year, Lazio considered running against Giuliani but "backed down" at the urging of party leaders. He is now considered the favorite after the mayor recently announced his battle with prostate cancer and "marital woes" (5/14).