California Leaders Make Annual List of ‘100 Most Powerful’ in Health Care
On Monday, Modern Healthcare released its 2009 list of the "100 Most Powerful People in Health Care." The list includes several health care industry and political leaders from California. Names and rankings for the California leaders appear below.
- George Halvorson (12), chair and CEO of Oakland-based Kaiser Permanente;
- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) (14);
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) (15);
- Steve Burd (17), president and CEO of Pleasanton-based Safeway stores;
- Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.) (21), chair of the House Energy and Commerce Committee;
- Drew Altman (22), president and CEO of the Menlo Park-based Kaiser Family Foundation;
- Rep. Pete Stark (D-Calif.) (30), chair of the House Ways and Means Health Subcommittee;
- Lloyd Dean (32), president and CEO of San Francisco-based Catholic Healthcare West;
- Rose Ann DeMoro (35), executive director of the California Nurses Association/Nurses Organizing Committee;
- Eric Schmidt (52), chair and CEO of Mountain View-based Google;
- Paul Tang (64), vice president and chief medical information officer at the Palo Alto Medical Foundation;
- Chris Van Gorder (66), president and CEO of San Diego-based Scripps Health; and
- Kent Thiry (73), CEO of El Segundo-based DaVita (Modern Healthcare, 8/24).