Clinton Foundation Launching Calif. Health Disparities Project
According to Reuters, Coachella Valley has some of the highest health disparities in the U.S.
The Clinton Health Matters Initiative will seek to reduce health disparities resulting from:
- Income levels; and
In addition, it will aim to reduce preventable diseases.
The initiative also will be launched in Little Rock, Ark.
Clinton has enlisted several corporate partners for the initiative, including:
- General Electric;
- Tenet Healthcare; and
The companies will launch or extend wellness-related programs, such as:
- Farmers' markets;
- No-cost exercise classes;
- Smoking cessation programs; and
- Walking groups.
In addition, Peter Tippett -- chief medical officer of Verizon's health information technology practice -- said the company is launching technological initiatives that allow:
- Medical devices to automatically alert physicians when patients with chronic illnesses become sicker;
- Patients to take their own blood pressure and other readings and send the data to their physician; and
- Rural physicians to send X-ray images and EKG readings to hospitals for analysisÂ (Begley, Reuters, 11/13).