Controversy Plagues Calif. Prison Health Care Oversight
California officials will ask a federal court to dismiss the court-appointed prison health care receiver at a hearing today, setting the stage for the case eventually to proceed to the U.S. Supreme Court. Recent media reports have highlighted compensation for receivership officials, staff turnover and the scope of the receiver's plan.
- "California To Push for Dismissal of Feds' Prison Health Czar" (Walsh, Sacramento Bee, 3/14).
- "Prison Medical Plan May Far Exceed Need" (Piller, Sacramento Bee, 3/15).
- "Receiver Paid 7 More Than State's Prison Director" (Piller, Sacramento Bee, 3/15).
- "Top Execs Ousted at Prison Health Receivership" (Piller, Sacramento Bee, 3/13).
- "Calif. Fight Over Inmate Care May Go To High Court" (Thompson, AP/Google.com, 3/15).
- "My View: Prison Health Care Reform Can Save Money" (Kelso, Sacramento Bee, 3/16).