Covered Calif. Defends Decision To Delay Release of Enrollment Data
On Monday, the executive director of Covered California defended the exchange's decision to delay the release of enrollment data until mid-November, the San Jose Mercury News reports (Seipel, San Jose Mercury News, 10/28).
Earlier this month, officials announced that more than 16,000 households completed applications during the first five days of open enrollment.
However, exchange spokesperson Anne Gonzales said that releasing the number of completed applications was "bonus information" offered after the first week and that officials do not plan to release enrollment data each week.
She also said the exchange in coming months will release only the number of applications started (California Healthline, 10/21).
Details of Announcement
Peter Lee, executive director of the exchange, said the public should have "reasonable expectations" about the release of enrollment data. He noted that retailers -- such as Apple -- generally only release such information quarterly.
"We want to make sure (the numbers) are right," he said.
However, Lee said that when Covered California's enrollment information is released next month, it will be among the most detailed in the country.
Lee said viewers will be able to categorize the data by:
- Age of the enrollees; and
- The type of plan selected (San Jose Mercury News, 10/28).