Covered California Awards Executive Pay Hikes, PR Contracts
The Covered California board of directors has approved pay hikes for two of the exchange's top executives, in recognition of their work on the insurance marketplace and their commitment to remain in their jobs, the Sacramento Business Journal reports (Robertson, Sacramento Business Journal, 6/22).
Details of Salaries
Last week, the exchange board approved a 2.5% salary increase for Covered California Executive Director Peter Lee, bringing his annual pay to $333,120. He also was awarded a separate $65,000 bonus.
The raise approved last week comes on top of a 24% raise that Lee was granted by the board in February (Terhune, Los Angeles Times, 6/19).
The board also approved an 11.3% salary increase for Deputy Director Yolanda Richardson, bringing her annual pay to $265,668.
Both pay hikes take effect on July 1, according to the Business Journal (Sacramento Business Journal, 6/22).
Meanwhile, the board last month posted the monthly salaries of its 15 top-paid executives, including Lee and Richardson. As of May 21:
- Lee earned $27,083 per month;
- Lance Lang, CMO of the exchange, earned $23,750 per month;
- Richardson earned $19,635 per month;
- Sue Johnsrud, chief deputy executive director of operations, earned $16,201 per month;
- Anne Price, director of plan management, earned $15,000 per month;
- Kathleen Keeshen, general counsel, earned $14,280 per month;
- Kirk Whelan, director of individual and small business sales, earned $14,166 per month;
- David Panush, director of government relations, earned $14,008 per month;
- Karen Ruiz, CTO, earned $13,495 per month;
- Jim Lombard, CFO, earned $13,374 per month;
- Amy Palmer, director of communications and public relations, earned $13,333 per month;
- LaVonne Coen, deputy COO, earned $12,495 per month;
- Lizelda Lopez, deputy director of communications and public relations, earned $10,833 per month;
- Colleen Stevens, director of marketing, earned $10,416 per month; and
- Brandon Ross, assistant general counsel, earned $8,930 per month (California Health Benefit Exchange release, 5/21).
Covered Calif. Awards Marketing Contracts
Los Angeles-based Campbell Ewald was awarded a contract worth up to $52.2 million annually, with about 80% of that funding intended for digital, outdoor print, radio and television advertisements.
Ogilvy Public Relations, which provides media support and event organization services, was awarded a contract worth up to $2 million annually (Robertson, Sacramento Business Journal, 6/19).This is part of the California Healthline Daily Edition, a summary of health policy coverage from major news organizations. Sign up for an email subscription.