C-SPAN’s ‘Washington Journal’ Features Interview Series with NIH Leaders
Marking the first in a series of interviews with several NIH leaders, NIH Director Dr. Elias Zerhouni on Nov. 26 discussed a variety of health care and health policy issues on C-SPAN's "Washington Journal." Zerhouni addressed several topics, including:
- NIH's mission;
- The current review of the agency's organizational structure, in which 19 institutes and eight centers report to the director;
- How continued research can;
- The new National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities;
- The connections between obesity and Type II diabetes;
- Bioterrorism preparedness; and
- The experimental vaccine for human papillomavirus type 16, the virus responsible for approximately 50% of all cervical cancer cases.
- The intersection of politics and funding for cancer research;
- Reasons for improvements in cancer survival rates;
- Which cancers currently have the highest incidence and mortality rates;
- Differences in funding for breast and prostate cancer; and
- Recent research findings about HRT.