Data Show Teen Births Fall to Record Low in California
On Monday, the California Department of Public Health released data showing that about 35 births per 1,000 teen females were reported in 2008, a drop of more than half since 1991.Â California's teen birth rate is lower than the national average, which has been increasing in recent years.
- "New Figures Show Teen Births Hit Record Low in California" (Khan, Los Angeles Times, 2/23).
- "California's Teen Birth Rate Reaches Record Low" (Central Valley Business Times, 2/22).
- "Births by Teen Girls Hit Record Low in California" (Whitcomb, Reuters, 2/22).
- "Sex Ed Credited for Dip in State's Teen Birth Rate" (Gregory, Ventura County Star, 2/22).
- "Kern County No. 1 for Teen Births" (Mayer, Bakersfield Californian, 2/22).