Former Residents Moved Into Motels, Shelters As Santa Ana River Homeless Encampment Is Cleared
"This is the first time that I know of that with the support of the court — and the supervision of the court — we were able to move those who needed moving and ensure that everyone is treated with dignity," said Brooke Weitzman, an attorney who sued Orange County over its previous treatment of the homeless residents.
Orange County Register:
Santa Ana River Homeless Encampment’s Last Residents Move Out
Orange County’s largest homeless encampment is no more. On Monday, following a six-day blitz during which county officials moved 732 homeless people into local motels and shelters, the once-bustling tent encampment sat unoccupied. The last few occupants packed their belongings and left. Sheriff’s deputies guarded locked gates to the flood control channel, preventing people from reentering. (Graham, 2/26)
Los Angeles Times:
Santa Ana River Homeless Camp Cleared After More Than 700 People Relocated
"This was a landmark process with so many different groups combining forces," said Brooke Weitzman, an attorney who sued Orange County on behalf of seven homeless people, alleging that officials' goal to empty the tent city last month violated her clients' civil rights. Weitzman and county representatives agreed to a stipulation that allowed clearing of the encampment, with guidance from U.S. District Court Judge David O. Carter, who toured the site and demanded that government and social services staff work with residents in a "humane way." (Do, 2/26)