Governor Names Health Policy Advisers
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) on Tuesday named two health policy advisers and appointed a member of the Commission on Emergency Medical Services.
John Ramey (R) of Fair Oaks will contract as senior health policy consultant for the Office of the Governor. Ramey since 2000 has served as principal and partner with Ramey, Macomber & Associates, which specializes in health care and health insurance contracts. He also has worked as:
- Executive director of the Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board;
- Deputy secretary and assistant secretary of the Health and Welfare Agency;
- Chief of staff for the Department of Health Services; and
- Member of the Managed Health Care Improvement Task Force.
Herb Schultz (D) of West Hollywood will serve as senior health policy adviser. Schultz most recently worked as vice president of government programs at McKesson Health Solutions, where he administered disease management and nurse advice programs for Medicare and Medicaid. He previously served as:
- Acting director of the California Employment Development Department;
- Acting secretary and undersecretary for the Labor and Workforce Development Agency;
- Deputy director of external affairs for the Department of Managed Health Care; and
- Director of the Advisory Committee on Managed Health Care.
R. Steven Tharratt (R) of El Dorado Hills will serve on the commission. He currently serves as:
- Interim chief of pulmonary and critical care medicine at the University of California-Davis Medical Center;
- Professor of medicine and anesthesiology at UC-Davis Medical School; and
- Medical director of the Sacramento County Emergency Medical Services, and Sacramento City and County Fire Departments.