MEDI-CAL: Policy Institute Explains Program in New Detail
In an effort to shed light on the "complex system that is Medi- Cal" the Medi-Cal Policy Institute has issued a new publication, the Medi-Cal County Data Book, which provides "a clear picture of how the program plays out" in each of California's 58 counties. While the California Department of Health Services and the federal government control the design and requirements of Medi-Cal, each county is responsible for fulfilling the state's directives and administering the daily operations of the program. Each county also maintains individual procedures for running its program. The new book compiles and centralizes information to help individuals:
- Understand who is enrolled in Medi-Cal at the local level;
- track changes in Medi-Cal enrollment over time;
- compare CalWORKS and Medi-Cal enrollment trends;
- identify county Medi-Cal managed care models;
- calculate program expenditures at the county level; and
- conduct cross-county comparisons.