Most Undocumented Immigrants Lack Insurance, Poll Finds
Three-fourths of undocumented immigrants from Latin American countries are uninsured, according to a recent national poll commissioned by New America Media, New America Media reports.
The poll surveyed 1,600 undocumented Latin American immigrants, the majority being from Mexico. Bendixen and Associates conducted the survey.
When participants were asked what they do when they become sick, the survey found:
- Almost 50% go to a clinic or physician;
- 24% go to an emergency department;
- 23% try to cure themselves;
- 3% return to their home country; and
- 2% use other methods (Sundaram, New America Media, 6/26).