One-Fourth of Covered California Enrollees Live in L.A. County
On Friday, Covered California released regional enrollment data that show more than a quarter of residents who enrolled in health coverage through the exchange as of the end of 2013 resided in Los Angeles County, the Malibu Patch reports (Arévalo, Malibu Patch, 1/31).
Earlier this month, HHS released data showing that as of Dec. 31, 2013, more than 500,000 California residents had enrolled in health coverage through Covered California (Sisson, U-T San Diego, 1/31).
Statewide, the number of residents who signed up for coverage already has surpassed Covered California officials' minimum estimate of 487,000 enrollees by March 31, when open enrollment ends.
Overall, California residents accounted for 22% of the total 2.2 million exchange enrollees nationwide (California Healthline, 1/14).
Regional Enrollment Data
As of the end of 2013, many regions in the state were nearing or had exceeded projections for the six-month enrollment period, including:
- Central Coast, where about 35,000 enrolled, reaching 108% of the area's enrollment projection;
- Los Angeles, where about 132,000 enrolled, reaching 74% of the area's enrollment projection;
- Sacramento, where about 27,000 enrolled, reaching 95% of the area's enrollment projection;
- San Diego, where about 45,000 enrolled, reaching 105% of the area's enrollment projection (Covered California release, 1/31); and
- San Francisco Bay Area, where about 117,000 enrolled, reaching 130% of the area's enrollment projection (Contra Costa Times, 2/1);
Los Angeles Enrollment Details
Enrollment in Los Angeles County during the last three months of 2013 accounted for 26% of enrollment statewide. Of those Los Angeles residents who enrolled:
- 93% chose a plan with one of the state's four largest insurers in the individual market -- Anthem Blue Cross, Blue Shield of California, Health Net or Kaiser Permanente;
- 84% qualified for financial subsidies; and
- 69% of those who were eligible for subsidies selected a Silver plan, which is targeted by federal premium assistance (Covered California release, 1/31).
In a release, Covered California Executive Director Peter Lee said the exchange is "pleased by the enthusiastic response consumers in Los Angeles County have shown," adding, "It is the most populous county in the most populous state in the country, so we cannot understate the importance of strong Covered California enrollment within Los Angeles County" (Malibu Patch, 1/31).This is part of the California Healthline Daily Edition, a summary of health policy coverage from major news organizations. Sign up for an email subscription.