PLANNED PARENTHOOD: Posts Online California Voter Guide
Californians for Responsible Choices, a political action committee of Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California, yesterday launched a website that provides online information on California issues and candidates' voting records. "As more and more California voters turn to the Internet for information on candidates and issues, they want to be sure that information is honest, accurate and from a trusted source," said Kathy Kneer, treasurer and spokesperson for Californians for Responsible Choices. "We created this site to enable California voters to make their own responsible voting decisions based on the facts, not campaign rhetoric," she added. The website can be accessed at: www.responsiblechoices.org, and voters can customize their own voter guide for all 1998 election races (CRC release, 9/23).
The scorecard rates the candidates "yes" or "no" on four key positions:
- Supports funding abortions for low-income women.
- Supports funding abortions in cases of life endangerment, rape, incest and to protect women's health.
- Supports funding family planning for low-income women.
- Supports age-appropriate sex education in public schools, including abstinence, contraception and AIDS.
"Yes" Or "No"?
Listed below are candidates' voting positions in key races previously covered by CHL:
- Governor's Race:
- Gray Davis (D): Yes to all four questions.
- Dan Lungren (R): No to the first three questions, position on fourth question is unknown.
- U.S. Senate Race:
- Barbara Boxer (D): Yes to all four questions.
- Matt Fong (R): No to the first two, positions on second two unanswered (CRC website, 9/24).