Redesigned Website Offers More Data on California Care Facilities
The redesign of the website was announced in February during a hearing between DSS and state lawmakers.
The hearing came after 19 residents at Valley Springs Manor in Castro Valley were left in the care of a cook and a janitor when DSS shut down the facility last year.
Details of Redesigned Site
The updated website includes new information, such as:
- A list of citations levied against each long-term care facility;
- A Google map picture of each facility's location; and
- A log of facility inspections.
However, the Mercury News notes that the website does not explain:
- Reasons for citations;
- Whether complaints were proven accurate; and
- Facilities' plans to address citations or complaints.
A feature that would provide statewide data on care facilities is pending, but users can email DSS to request information on a specific issue or facility, according to the agency (Nelson, San Jose Mercury News, 7/15).This is part of the California Healthline Daily Edition, a summary of health policy coverage from major news organizations. Sign up for an email subscription.