Report: Calif. Ranks 19th for Return on Investment in Health Care
California has the lowest death rate in the country, but it is not among the top 10 states for return on investment in health care, according to a new report by WalletHub, the New York Daily News reports.
Details of Analysis
For the rankings, WalletHub analyzed 47 U.S. states -- data were not available on Maine, Rhode Island and Vermont (Engel, New York Daily News, 7/30).
- America's Health Rankings;
- Average individual health plan premiums; and
- Death rates (Fox News, 7/30).
In order to calculate ROI, WalletHub divided the health rankings and death rates by the average insurance rates (New York Daily News, 7/30).
Nationally, the top state for overall health ROI was Minnesota, while the lowest-ranked state was Mississippi.
California ranked 19th for overall health ROI, but also ranked:
- First for lowest death rate; and
- 33rd for health care costs (WalletHub report, July 2014).