SAN DIEGO: Events Scheduled to Mark World AIDS Day
In recognition of World AIDS Day and to honor the nearly 6,000 San Diego County residents who have succumbed to the disease, several events are scheduled throughout the area today. The following activities have been planned:
- "The Living Art Collection" by artist and person living with AIDS Rosemary Blount will be on display from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Priority Pharmacy, 3935 First Ave., San Diego;
- An HIVolleyball game will be played from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Border Field State Park;
- A quilt display, information booths and refreshments are planned beginning at 2 p.m. at University Christian Church, 3900 Cleveland Ave., San Diego. A community service award ceremony will be held at 4 p.m.
- The eighth annual Tree of Life lighting ceremony will take place at 6:30 p.m. at Village Hillcrest Retail Center, 3965 Fifth Ave., San Diego. Panels from the AIDS quilt will be on display;
- The HIV Ministry Team of Metropolitan Community Church of San Diego will present a program at 7 p.m., 4333 30th St., San Diego. For more information, call (619) 280-4333;
- Candlelight vigils will be held at 7:30 p.m. from Village Hillcrest Retail Center and the Oceanside Pier.