Study: 12 of the Most Expensive U.S. Hospitals Are Located in Calif.
The institute is affiliated with National Nurses United.
Details of the Report
For the study, researchers used data from Medicare cost reports released by CMS (Payers & Providers, 1/9).
According to the report, the most expensive California hospital is Olympia Medical Center in Los Angeles, which charges 1,034% more than its actual care costs. Olympia ranks 13th nationwide.
The other 11 California hospitals included in the report are:
- Barstow Community Hospital, which charges 872% more than actual costs;
- Centinela Hospital in Inglewood, which charges 773% more than its actual costs;
- Community and Mission Hospital of Huntington Park, which charges 783% more than actual costs;
- Doctors Hospital of Manteca, which charges 967% more than actual costs;
- Doctors Medical Center of Modesto, which charges 957% more than actual costs;
- Lodi Memorial Hospital, which charges 811% more than actual costs;
- Los Alamitos Medical Center, which charges 782% more than actual costs;
- Monterey Park Hospital, which charges 860% more than actual costs;
- Providence Holy Cross Medical Center in Mission Hills, which charges 809% more than actual costs;
- Regional Medical Center of San Jose, which charges 804% more than actual costs; and
- Twin Cities Community Hospital in Templeton, which charges 813% more than actual costs (IHSP Report, 1/9).
Ten of the 12 California hospitals on the list are owned by for-profit companies or hospital chains (Payers & Providers, 1/9).This is part of the California Healthline Daily Edition, a summary of health policy coverage from major news organizations. Sign up for an email subscription.