Three New Veterans Affairs Homes To Be Built in Southern California
Construction could begin within two years on a long-planned Veterans Affairs home in Saticoy and two other homes in Lancaster and Los Angeles, Tom Johnson, the state's newly appointed secretary of veterans affairs, said Thursday, the Ventura County Star reports. The projects had been delayed for a number of years by financial and political issues, but federal and state officials in April agreed on terms of construction for the Los Angeles facility. Under law, construction on all three homes must begin at the same time.
The Saticoy facility will have 60 beds and will offer adult day care services to an additional 50 veterans (Clerici, Ventura County Star, 6/18). About 25 veterans are expected to visit the site on an average weekday. The $17 million facility initially will consist of three buildings and will be designed to expand by up to 400 beds as the need arises and funding allows, according to VA Deputy Secretary Robert Glazier (Griggs, Los Angeles Times, 6/19). The Saticoy and Lancaster homes, which are designed to provide general health services and accommodations for veterans in need of a place to live, will be ready by September 2008. The Los Angeles facility will have 400 beds for patients who need more intensive care and will be built next to the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Los Angeles. The facility is scheduled to be finished by July 2009.
Together, the three homes are expected to cost approximately $150 million. About 65% of funding will come from the federal government, and the state will contribute the remaining 35%. Johnson said, "There are a lot of frustrated people here, and there have been a lot of false starts, but we now know how to proceed" (Ventura County Star, 6/18). Chuck Bennett, chair of the Tri-County Veterans Home Coalition, said, "It looks like they're coming through on the current promises, and overall, veterans are very pleased about that" (Los Angeles Times, 6/19).This is part of the California Healthline Daily Edition, a summary of health policy coverage from major news organizations. Sign up for an email subscription.