Web-Based System Expedites Referral Process
Medical Mutual of Ohio has developed an Internet-based system that enables physicians to process referrals over the Web. Physicians typically request referrals via telephone or fax, and then manually enter them into a claims-processing system. Using Medical Mutual's Web-based program, physicians can submit referrals over the Internet, where 70% of referrals are approved by the computer and are automatically entered into the claims system. Medical review staff evaluate the remaining 30% of claims, which "require further examination." Paula Sauer, vice president of Care Management at Medical Mutual of Ohio, said, "Not only does the Web-based referral system dramatically improve the referral process, but it automatically identifies opportunities for our care management programs to improve the health of our members who may require special treatment" (Medical Mutual release, 11/16).
The HealthScout Network, which provides consumer health information and health news, announced yesterday that its Internet and print materials will now be available in Spanish. HealthScout en Espanol is a "daily feed of the top health news stories adapted into Spanish," and is reviewed for medical and grammatical accuracy by physicians who are fluent in Spanish. Barry Hoffman, HealthScout executive editor, said, "We recognize there is a lack of important, up-to-the-minute, culturally relevant health news available to the Spanish-speaking market. ... HealthScout en Espanol is the first of many steps we are taking to offer people whose primary language is Spanish with relevant, important and reliable consumer health news" (HealthScout release, 11/16).
MyDrugRep.com, a new sales channel that facilitates the marketing of pharmaceutical products to physicians, yesterday announced that Doug Everson will become the company's president. Everson, previously president and COO of Nelson Professional Sales, a contract sales organization for the pharmaceutical industry, will work on "establishing pharmaceutical partnerships and growing MyDrugRep.com physician membership," and will also oversee all business development, sales and marketing efforts (MyDrugRep.com release, 11/16).This is part of the California Healthline Daily Edition, a summary of health policy coverage from major news organizations. Sign up for an email subscription.