Yosemite Warns of Potential Exposure to Rare Disease
On Tuesday, Yosemite National Park officials informed about 1,700 people who stayed at a low-cost lodging area this summer that they might have been exposed to a potentially fatal rodent-borne disease. According to email alerts sent by park officials, four individuals who stayed at Curry Village in June have contracted hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, and two of them have died. Officials said symptoms -- which can start from one to six weeks after exposure to contaminated air -- include fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, vomiting or cough.
- "Rare Illness Has Killed 2 Lodgers at Yosemite" (Barnes, New York Times, 8/28).
- "Yosemite Officials Say 1,700 Visitors May Have Been Exposed to Hantavirus" (Kleffman, Contra Costa Times, 8/28).